Serving Oak Ridge Since 1957
It was 1914 when Mr. R.T. Clapp opened his business as a feed store
on Gay Street in downtown Knoxville, next to the jail. He soon realized
there was money to be made helping motorists with those new Ford
Model Ts and other early versions of the horseless carriage.
The business grew. At one time there were RT Clapp service centers
in Knoxville, Kingsport, Asheville and Chattanooga. A.D. Moody bought the business from Mr. Clapp in
RT Clapp Oak Ridge opened in 1957. Bob Vandergriff, who began working at RT Clapp Knoxville
in 1967, bought the Oak Ridge facility in 1971. He retired in 1995,
with his daughter Valerie White and his son Rob Vandergriff joining
partner Barry Scarborough to assume the operation of RT Clapp Oak
Ridge. The three bought RT Clapp Knoxville in 1998 and sold the
Knoxville facility to Jeff Hendrickson in 2010.
The first decade of the 21st century brought some tumultuous times to the automotive industry, with several auto dealerships closing and some legacy car brands leaving
the market. RT Clapp not only survived, but also thrived, as customers continued to count on a long-established business
with a rock-solid reputation for keeping East Tennessee motorists
on the road.
Over one hundred years and more than a million automotive repairs later,
RT Clapp’s future looks bright as a state-of-the-art auto
service center. RT Clapp continues to invest in the tools, diagnostic
equipment and training that is required to keep today’s vehicles
running at top performance.
RT Clapp is a customer-focused, bumper-to-bumper auto service center. We're equipped and staffed to handle
nearly any kind of auto repair issue, whether it involves the latest model or
a classic antique. And with the RT Clapp tire store offering top
brand tires and alignment service, there really is only one name
to know for auto service and repair.